If a development has taken place or a use is being carried out without the benefit of planning permission, it might be possible to obtain a Certificate of Existing Lawful Development or Use, which confirms immunity from Enforcement Action.

The time limits for applying for a Certificate of Existing Lawful Development or Use are:

4 years

for building works or the change of use of a building or part of a building to use as a single dwelling house

10 years

for all other developments, including non-residential changes of use and change of use of land for the stationing of a residential mobile home

We can provide advice and work with you to collate evidence to prove when a development took place or how long a use has been taking place. This can include Statutory Declarations, which are legal accounts of events written by an individual (signed in front of a solicitor).

We always seek to engage with Local Planning Authority Officers at an early stage in the application determination period to ensure that where at all possible, applications are approved first time.

Some examples of what we do...